If you are looking for instruction on how to manage payment declines and collect on Unpaid reservations, you have come to the right article!
Good to note:
When a Payment is Declined upon Confirmation, the Dockwa system automatically sends instructions to boater on how to update in Dockwa Account. Once a new card is added by boater the payment will re-run automatically to collect outstanding balance. If the customer misses or ignores this email the reservation will remain Unpaid.
Important to note:
All payment declines on manual edits and rebills to collect the remaining balance upon arrival will Not Update Automatically. These payments will remain Unpaid until they are Manually Re-Processed by the Marina.
From our experience, marina managers take one of three approaches to Manage Payment Declines:
- The most common way is by sending a message via Dockwa Chat to the customer to re-notify them of the payment decline and give them some options:
- "Enter new card into Dockwa account (Instructions on how to do this were sent to you by Dockwa)"
- "Call the marina and we will add a new card into your reservation"
- "If bank flagged charge and you have approved it, chat us back and we will Manually Re-Run the charge with the card on file"
- Provide the customer an ultimatum of when payment needs to be updated by. We see marinas give customer 24-hours or 1-week, depending on how far in advance of arrival the reservation is. The best medium to communicate this ultimatum is Dockwa Chat.
- The least common way is to cancel the reservation and send a message via Dockwa Chat to notify the that they must resubmit their request with a valid payment source
If you or your team have any questions or concerns regarding payment declines or the suggested process, please let us know below in the comments or by emailing email@example.com